Polish Cartographical Review
The Polish Cartographical Review is one of the oldest cartographic journals in the world. It has been distributed since 1969 as the continuation of the periodical that had been published in Lvov for 11 years (during the years 1923 to 1934) under the title The Polish Cartographical Review. The quarterly plays an essential role in connection with the increasing importance of spatial information in the contemporary world as well as due to the expanding of use of maps in many areas of social and economic life. As a result, cartography as a field of knowledge, dealing with the methodology of information transmission via maps, is becoming increasingly important; especially facing the new challenges posed by the technological changes, and in the natural consequence – cultural ones.
The thematic scope of the articles that are published in The Polish Cartographical Review is very diverse. It reflects the main development directions of the contemporary cartography that is worked up by the cartographers and another specialists from the other fields of science for whom the map is the subject of research or the visual presentation of the results. In the area of interest of the magazine are the problems of theory of cartography, editing and perception processes of maps, the use of cartography in the studies of social and economic phenomena, including the use of the remote sensing and GIS tools, as well as the cultural role of the map and the history of cartography.